[PD] : pd + sc with jackd

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Thu Dec 30 20:02:33 CET 2010

I use both in Karmic (patched with rt) on a cheap Toshiba AMD Dual core and
Maverick (no patch yet) on a stronger dual core VAIO.

Now some considerations:
- on Toshiba (weakest link)>
  - with on board card, I set the qjackctl values such as the latency rises
a bit, but stays stable without DIO errors or xruns (as jack call's it). The
rate is set at 44.1k, but is not what drives latency the most. The buffer
size and period will determine the latency value (on the down-right corner
qjackctl predicts the latency).  I use about 1024 or 2048 samples on the
buffer length and a 3 period. Yes I know its high, but its hyper stable.
  - with a simple USB card (H4 recorder) I can really lower the latency a
lot, I can usually manage it down to 20ms and remain really stable without
DIO and xruns.

- on VAIO (strongest link)
  - the computer is so fast that even with onboard sound card and without rt
I can run jack + pd + sc with an acceptable latency. I just installed sc to
test both systems in parallel, runned a couple of sc140 code in parallel,
and some of my medium load pd patches, also started up moc player, all with
30 ms of latency and without any DIO or xrun. So it all depends on a lot of
hardware capabilities and of course some fine tuning of your jack +
soundcard settings. Attached is an image of pd + sc on maverick in my VAIO.

best regards
Pedro
p.s.: note on the image that although qjack is running with jack realtime
enabled but the kernel is not patched for rt.