[PD] Pd-X update confusion

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Mon Jan 3 06:17:23 CET 2011

On 01/02/2011 06:38 PM, Derek Holzer wrote:
> Yes. Pd seems to have skipped ALSA almost entirely during it's
> development, going from OSS directly to JACK. Someone else can correct
> me if I am wrong, but IIRC there are no proper ALSA drivers, only
> emulation through OSS.
ah I see -- but there is still an ALSA and an OSS setting in the gui
which is misleading
> Is there some reason you don't want to use JACK?
no - just a habit I got into  -- I would fire up pd and point it to the
system audio out without firing up Jack first -- now I know to just use
Jack always

> Latency and such should improve dramatically for you.
yes it also reduces the xruns which were a nuisance but I just ignored
them if just poking at patches

> Rather annoying move by Ubuntu however. I suppose you could compile it
> in yourself...
from what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong
this was a decision made by the devs working on the Linux kernel

q: if the ALSA OSS emulation layer is no longer part of the kernel can
it be modprobed back in? or does the kernel need a complete recompile?
and if so is there a page somewhere describing how to do this?
just curious...not sure I want to go down that rathole