[PD] pd in mac app store

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 20:38:28 CET 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:53:37 +0000
ALAN BROOKER <alan.brooker2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding ugly plan: Is app store 'lock-in' any different from apple's usual
> hardware' lock in' for laptops/desktops? Pd still runs on those platforms so
> why not port ipad, ipod, iphone upud, ipid etc?
>
> In any case isnt RJDJ the port for Pd to this platform anyway ? I could be
> wrong- not 100%

I wouldn't say it's a port of of Pd, not as an application.
It's a port of Pd to support a specific application class
with its own interfaces.

The GUI for Pd on a tablet would be quite different anyway,
to take advantage of that device's touch gestures, a direct
port of the keyboard oriented interface would miss an opportunity.

Regarding Apple, who are only one manufacturer of mobile
and tablet devices; I think this is a moral issue that can
be easily settled by watching this famous advertisement,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

and comparing the stance implied there with their position
25 years later.

Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>