[PD] change in compression detection

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 10 02:26:34 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, ~E. wrote:

> I'm searching how i can detect the change in the compression of an audio
> signal. The purpose is to detect (and quantified) the compression
> changes between the music and the ads in a radioshow. Have any ideas ?

If you don't have the original uncompressed recordings, I don't see how
you could be doing that. You'd have to guess how complex sounds are
supposed to fade out normally, to find out how much the fade out has been
messed with.

And then, in the compressor, you have both a measurement of input volume
and a formula for turning that input volume into a gain to be applied, and
both of those parts are subject to a lot of variation and tweaking.