[PD] optimizing big patches

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jan 11 19:25:33 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ludwig Maes wrote:

> I always felt message passing was unnecessarily expensive but I didnt
> realise message passing was that expensive! I seriously think it would
> be good to have a pd front end for gcc, a few of us should take the time
> to learn GIMPLE and implement a "compile" menu item to compile
> patches/subpatches.

There are a lot of possible ways to compile patches without having to deal
with machine code generation and use. I'm sure you can triple the speed of
a lot of patches in this manner, and I wouldn't be surprised to get
tenfold improvements in some cases.

OTOH, another way to deal with a slow interpreter, is to pass fewer,
bigger messages, to objects that do more work at once. This is much of the
original idea for creating GridFlow.