[PD] Body tracking

Ali H asaegyn+pd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:34:39 CET 2011

Hello all,

I'm new to this list... I've just started out with PD, with body-tracking in
mind actually.

I'm working with the kinect - you can get it working on your OS of choice,
via the wonderful community effort at:
http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page

Seems like a natural fit for PD, and people are actually connecting it to
the OpenNI project here: http://www.openni.org/

and there are some other skeleton tracking efforts that have been discussed
on the openkinect google group.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Ali

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Jaime Oliver <jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> > the truth is: it depends on the purpose.
>
> Nothing Truer...
>
> >> Not defending anything, but just to remind 60 fps of a pointgrey camera
> is not slow.
> >for gesture, i consider everything under 200Hz as slow.
>
> surely this is the case for percussion as in your example here:
>
> > by example, things like this have to be done at 1000Hz:
> > http://vimeo.com/9598075
>
> However, with a minimum of 75fps with a ps3 camera (you can get up to
> 120fps at 320x240...) you can get very responsive results:
> www.jaimeoliver.pe/sc2
>
> It is clear that this project is not as concerned with precise triggers, it
> is more concerned with continuous control...
>
> you just need to find out if what these space&temporal resolutions offer
> you what you're looking for. (+ solving less robust lighting, which is what
> really determines if video tracking is the way to go...)
>
> best,

>> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Le 08/01/2011 20:24, Pedro Lopes a écrit :
>>>
>>>  Not defending anything, but just to remind 60 fps of a pointgrey camera
>>>>
>>> for gesture, i consider everything under 200Hz as slow.
>>> including the wiimote 100Hz.
>>>
>>> by example, things like this have to be done at 1000Hz:
>>> http://vimeo.com/9598075
>>> (we tried with slower system but it was not possible to be accurate
>>> enough).
>>>

>>>  you probably will have a lot of trouble in dealing with 60 frames trying
>>>>
>>> you have problem analysing the image, but dealing with the data is no
>>> problem.
>>>

>>>  Accels and other hardware sensors are very useful too, and it very good
>>>>
>>> yep
>>>
>>>  But not the best for 3d positioning of a point in space,
>>>>
>>> they will not provide any information regarding 3d positioning.
>>>

>>> the question is what information do you really want...
>>> if you want the position of someone in space, then you have to use a
>>> camera. but you can also track he's movement with a wacom.