[PD] change in compression detection

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 12 19:35:36 CET 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> I hope I'm not confusing dynamic range compression with wave shaping.
> Actually, depending on the compressor settings (short attack times,
> etc.) a dynamic compressor indeed acts a bit as a wave shaper.

It can also act exactly like a waveshaper, if you give it the most extreme
settings.

Similarly an echo effect and a comb filter are the same thing, but when
people talk about an echo effect, they usually don't mean an echo effect
configured to act as what is usually meant when people say a comb filter.
And vice-versa.

If you pick compressor settings that cause their cutoff wavelengths to be
longer enough than the sounds you are compressing, they will cause no
(or little) distorsion in the perceived frequencies, and thus it will not
sound like a compressor.

> Instead of constant amplitude signals think of signal with ever changing
> amplitudes which I believe what we call music normally belongs to,

But constant-amplitude sound can also be music, can't it ?

> The problem with calculating an average with peak amplitude is that
> peaks by definition occur only at certain points in time.

A square wave is entirely made of peak points.

What is it that makes you use such a flawed definition of peaks ?