[PD] change in compression detection

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:15:53 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 19:23 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 13:35 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >> If you pick compressor settings that cause their cutoff wavelengths to be
> >> longer enough than the sounds you are compressing, they will cause no
> >> (or little) distorsion in the perceived frequencies, and thus it will not
> >> sound like a compressor.
> > Di you mean: "[...] thus it will not sound like a wave shaper"?
>
> ouch, yes.
>
> >> But constant-amplitude sound can also be music, can't it ?
> > Sure, though I don't know any, I guess.
>
> Musical xmas cards, cellphone ring tones, "pc speaker", etc. There are
> lots of examples.

True, in those examples the sound generation is often based on square
waves with constant amplitude. If we want to be very nit-picking, those
still don't qualify for constant amplitude sound sources, since one
usually doesn't listen to those sounds with headphones plugged directly
to the christmas card. Even if at an electrical level the amplitude is
constant, it's very likely that it is not constant anymore when you
record the sound with a microphone. This is due to resonances and
distortions introduced by the physical properties of the speaker (piezo)
and the paper of the card.

> > Also it wouldn't be interesting to detect compression in it.
>
> And then what ?... If you talk about compression of dynamics in general,
> you're talking about all sounds, and not just those that are interesting.

If we consider all kinds of sounds, there still might be a portion of
it, that is not so interesting for compression detection. What's wrong
with that with stating that?

Roman