[PD] keyword/regexp search of documentation in a plugin

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 13 18:00:03 CET 2011

Attached is an updated version:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: search-plugin.tcl
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 7344 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

On Jan 12, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> 1 the results aren't clickable

Which platform?  They are for me on Ubuntu/maverick, Mac OS X 10.5 and
10.6.

> 2 you can't enter multiple non-contiguous terms

Its a regexp really, so it doesn't really do keyword searches.
Ideally, this would use a search engine like xapian, then it could do
keyword searches.  I just added code to replace spaces in the
searchtext with the regexp code ".*" so that it'll search non-
contiguous words, but the first word will always be before the second
in search results.

> 3 no control over AND vs. OR (or is there?)

regexp

> 4 doesn't differentiate between tutorial/example patches and object-
> help
> patches (what if I just want to find the object named 'gate'?)

Hmm, that wouldn't be too hard to do, I guess it would be a pull down
menu of: object, message, comment, array, any.

> 5 most of the results don't fit into the window size

The window should be resizable.

> 6 full text search makes it impossible to get useful results for
> 'float',
> array', 'list', etc.

That sounds like fully typed searching, which would be very nice, but
much harder to do.  My goal right now is to get a basic search
function working.  Hopefully my code is clear enough that others will
make their own custom search plugins.  I could see simple search,
regexp, search engine, etc.

> 7 can't search by inlet, object function, author, etc. (PDDP META
> tags)

Why not?  This works for me: author.*steiner

> 8 non-friendly user interface

I spruced it up a bit with this latest version.

> 9 it doesn't seem to be searching the manual

Ah, I'll add .html to the file types it searches.

.hc