[PD] optimizing big patches

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jan 13 18:41:34 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 01:57:33PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:25:33PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> OTOH, another way to deal with a slow interpreter, is to pass fewer,
>>> bigger messages, to objects that do more work at once. This is much of
>>> the original idea for creating GridFlow.
>> It's also the idea behind the "BSP"-approach I described in my LAC2010 paper:
>
> It would be appropriate to pick a more descriptive name than Blocked
> Signal Processing, because that sounds quite a lot more like what Pd
> already does in its dsp all of the time, and it doesn't say what you make
> it do that is any different from what it already does.

I was at first thinking of Interrupted Block Mathemathics, but the acronym
looked funny.

>> http://markmail.org/message/xnerkchl24j6p42k where calculations you'd
>> typically do in message space are made with signal objects.
>
> So, doesn't this mean that they have to be done at a rate that is a power
> of two times the audio sampling rate ?

The main idea is to use suspended (i.e. [switch~]ed-off) subpatches, so you can
run a slower rates than usual dsp rates. But yes, it's quantized.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__