[PD] Really random random from date and time

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 25 10:00:15 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:58:19AM +0000, Ed Kelly wrote:
> I'd like my patch to create a different random each time it's loaded.
>
> I'm using [urn] so I tried feeding a [random 500] -> [seed $1( into the [urn],
> but every time it's the same result. According to the documentation "if you
> don't give it a seed then each instance of random gets its own seed" but every
> time I initiate the patch the result is the same.
>
> Is there an object that will give me the current date and/or time, so that I can
> use that as a seed to the random and urn objects???

Apart from the solutions based on current time, I also had success with using
the adc~ as a seed on RjDj/iPthing. Of course it needs audio input, but if you
have that, just [snapshot~] and scale accordingly to get a sufficiently random
seed.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__