[PD] standard encoding of pd files in each system?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jan 27 00:25:52 CET 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Pd < 0.43 is probably something like ISO-8859-1 or perhaps UTF-8

Pd Extended 0.42 and 0.41 are system-dependent on this : ISO_8859-1 on
OSX, ISO_8859-1 in Linux's pd "server", and UTF-8 in Linux's pd "client".
This explains why accents in OSX patches make text (comments, objectboxes,
etc) disappear on Linux, and why trying to type accents in Linux makes
text disappear.

If you load GridFlow in those versions of Pd, the gridflow_unicorn module
modifies Pd so that accents are recorded as UTF-8 in the patches, which
makes them typable on Linux, and makes OSX's text portable to Linux.
However, in both cases, the other UTF-8 problems remain (cursor in wrong
place, problems with deleting and inserting special chars).

> UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 will both be fully ANSI if only the standard ASCII
> chars are used, i.e. no ü, ã, é, etc.

What does «ANSI» mean here ?? (I suspect that it's not what you mean to
write)