[PD] Combining two audio signals

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Jan 27 08:42:00 CET 2011

Hi Julian,

J bz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have two audio signals, 1 instrument input and then some processing
> of the instrument.
>
> What I want is for the processing to work like [swap] where when the
> instrument is loud the processing is quiet and vice versa.
>
> My question is how can I do this smoothly without there being big
> jumps at the beginning and end of the processed sound?

You should find a way to smooth out the volume 'jumps', as I guess from
what you write that the changes are triggered by some sort of envelope
following.

One trick might be to smooth out these jumps with a lowpass filter
[lop~] with fairly low cut-off frequency (around 10 Hz for e.g.).
Otherwise using [line~] can also be used to smooth non-continuous messages.

Lorenzo.