[PD] Multi-dimensional arrays (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jan 28 21:34:04 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:28:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
To: Tedb0t <lists at liminastudio.com>
Subject: Re: [PD] Multi-dimensional arrays

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Tedb0t wrote:

> Awesome!  I started this patch (basically a drum sequencer interface with
> recallable banks), but not sure why [#store] isn't working here:

It's because [#many] contains a [#store] that needs to have a 2-dimensional
grid in it, and [#many] doesn't check that you give it such a grid, and by
default, [#store] contains a 0-dimensional grid whose contents is a single 0.

> Perhaps the [#store]s need to be initialized with the right dimensions? Not
> sure how to do that...

A grid literal such as «6 8 #» will expand to a 6×8 grid of zeroes, if you pass
it as a single argument where a grid is expected (using parentheses) or as a
list-message to a grid-inlet.

for example, [#store (6 8 #)]
and to clear the contents, have a «6 8 #» messagebox.

(I use «» to quote a list or messagebox contents in email. It's not part of
GridFlow.)