[PD] IP address in windows?

patko colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Jan 29 05:37:31 CET 2011

Hello Pierre,

 you can get ip adress with windows cmd

In pd-extended there is [flatspace/popen] object for that,

you need to create a file called 'getip.bat' containing those lines:

@echo off
for /F "usebackq tokens=14" %%i in (`ipconfig ^| find /i "IPv4"`) do echo %%i

and then you can grab the ip adress from the computer you are in by sending [getip.bat< message to  [popen] like this:

[getip.bat<

[flatspace/popen<

<symbol box>

both patch and batch files must be in the same directory, or put the batch file into pd/bin to run it from anywhere

----- "Pedro Lopes" <pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt> a écrit :

> <lame-solution> Even if there's no shell/system object for windoes
> (I'm not using win so I cannot really answer) you can easily create a
> batch script (a windows shell script) that saves the output of
> ipconfig in a file. Then parse the file with pd and extract the ip
> from there.
>

> It can even by dynamic in the sense that your shell script can be a
> sort of cron (linux scheduled jobs, I think are called sheduled
> services in win) and can run a number of times. Thus your game could
> see the file for the lastest IP.
>
> </lame-solution>
>

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Pierre Massat < pimassat at gmail.com >
> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to get my computer's IP from inside Pd? I know it's
> possible in Linux using the shell object, but it doesn't exist in
> windows. I'm trying to make a game requiring two players to play on
> two different computers, and it'd be very annoying if each user had to
> find her IP before playing.
>
> Pierre

> --
> Pedro Lopes (MSc)