[PD] Am I alone?

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jan 29 23:07:19 CET 2011

On 1/29/11 12:16 PM, Josh Moore wrote:
> Well in my opinion most electroacoustic shit is all surrealist/dadaist crap.
>
> The people involved try too hard to be the electronic version of John
> Cage, it's quite annoying.
> In fact, I'm so against it that I'm going to come up with a parody
> album with actual good dance music
> that uses elements of the academic code geek norm with real electronic
> music that have titles like
> "computer scientists make for very bad musicians" and "chainsaw in a
> cave, recorded 6 feet down"

<Rest of polemic deleted for brevity's sake>

You're certainly going way out on a limb with that position -- I mean,
how brave of you to take up the mantle of champion for poor, defenseless
"good dance music".

If it weren't for experimentalists, the tools used by pop musicians to
make "good dance music" wouldn't exist in the first place. If you don't
like the compositions made by experimentalists, don't listen to them,
but you haven't come up with a compelling argument for the innate
superiority of the music you happen to find enjoyable, merely a rather
juvenile list of pejoratives for that which doesn't happen to appeal to
your taste.

By the way, it is considered bad nettiquette to cross-post to several
lists like this.  I have limited my reply to one list.

Phil Stone
www.pkstonemusic.com