[PD] Am I alone?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 30 16:21:14 CET 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, ailo wrote:

> There's so many cases where these questions can never be generalized, so
> I find it's pretty much impossible to discuss music in a general
> fashion.

Ok, let's say I follow all the links posted on a mailing-list, and all I
find are tracks in which I want to fast-forward through the seemingly
randomly-arranged noises until I get to the beginning of the «real stuff»,
and eventually I can't fast-forward anymore because I'm already at the
end. What do you call this ? When is one allowed to generalise ?

(btw obviously I'm not talking about pd-list !)

> Can we even define what music is?

Depends on the level on which you expect to define it. You'd have more
chances if you try to define it on a sociological/psychological level.

> I think it's ok to have a personal moral view of what music should or
> should not be. For me, when you have a sense of what is right and wrong
> in music, that is a sort of morality.

That's usually called beauty, ugliness and æsthetics, though otoh lyrics
could be subjected to the same judgements of morality as books do.

> In my experience, basing your music on rational moralic standpoints can
> be restrictive to the point that you are choked. Maybe for someone else,
> that is a way to get organized?

What do you mean by rational ?