[PD] "canvas" ambiguity (stupid question)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 30 20:44:19 CET 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> I always considered a canvas (meant as a pd window i.e. a patch or
> subpatch) and a [cnv] object (the graphical object with a background
> color and a label) as two completely different and unrelated things that
> just happen to be both called "canvas". Is it so, or is there some more
> subtle relation between them, perhaps in the way they are implemented at
> a lower level?

They have nothing to do with each other. In a bout of frustration about
this deliberate misnaming, I nicknamed the latter "can'tvas", but when I'm
more serious, I call it [cnv] and pretend that the letters "cnv" don't
stand for anything at all. As a backronym, though, I'm tempted to say
"Couldn't Name Vigilantly" or "Confuses Notably the Vocabulary".