[PD] is pdp supposed to work?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 31 17:47:08 CET 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> Thank you, but that seems to me more of a reference (or even a mere
> list) of individual objects.

Degoyon's page only directly talks about PiDiP, Degoyon's add-ons to PDP.

PiDiP is a separate library that works within PDP's framework.

And contrary to PDP, PiDiP is non-free software, as in it's not FLOSS.

> I mean, where I can find answers to questions like: what is a packet?

It's a piece of data together with a type tag. That's extremely generic,
as in, it hardly specifies any structure at all. There's a corresponding
message type that has the selector 'pdp', for carrying pointers around.

After that, you have several type tag patterns that correspond to specific
data formats such as float matrices and three kinds of images.

> What kind of data do pdp objects handle? What is the bare minimum you
> need to work with pdp (like [gemwin] and [gemhead] in gem)?

Just like GridFlow, PDP doesn't have a central metro/window bundle like
[gemwin] and [gemhead] are. Instead, a window waits to get an image into
an inlet of its corresponding object. However, unlike GridFlow, PDP
supports only one window per window-class (one for [pdp_glx], one for
[pdp_xv], ...) whereas GridFlow supports one window per window-object, so
that [#out x11] four times opens four windows.

That said, PDP, just like GridFlow, doesn't need a window, in order to be
able to do work. That is unlike GEM, except that since GridFlow introduced
[gemdead] (sic), you can now use GEM pix objects without
[gemwin]/[gemhead] and thus you don't need to have a window open anymore.