[PD] pix_set / pix_gain weirdness

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 31 20:55:32 CET 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> I get some strange behaviour with the attached patch which is basically:
> 1) When I send a new value to pix_gain's inlet, the output is not
> updated until I re-send the pixel color values to pix_set. 2) If I
> modify the pix_gain object and change its creation argument (which means
> the object is recreated), the pix_set seems to be reset as well: the
> rectangle resets to white, as if the pix_set objet was recreated. I have
> to re-send the pixel values to pix_set. After doing this, the pixel
> colors are as expected and the gain is applied correctly. Why doesn't
> the pix_gain update its output when a new value of the gain is applied?
> Why does pix_set reset when I recreate the pix_gain object? Is all this
> expected behaviour and I am missing something?

BTW if anyone knows where is the documentation for the principles involved
in this, I'd like to know.

In any case, such complications are one good reason to use GridFlow.
Seriously, in GridFlow, an image is more similar to a normal message, and
the data actually flows from outlet to inlet, whereas in GEM, the
gem_state messages are little more than bangs, or more accurately,
references to global tables (thus the data doesn't flow much).