[PD] Am I alone?

patko colet.patrice at free.fr
Wed Feb 2 12:37:24 CET 2011

 Music is something we can have permenantly in the mind, and this is actually hidden from anyone point of view,
no one would be actually ridiculous by generating music with brain (Can you say that about chicken dance?).

 Tools have been developped to reproduce this music for sharing a projection around a consensus that is different following different social groups. We're just trying not to be alone.

 If you play didjeridoo your brain will reproduce sounds of didjeridoo as well as melodies or any kind of language, where accurateness will depends of the the understanding of the mind that is trying to reproduce it.

 Listeners might need to be educated but I have some reasons to doubt about it, a baby for example would rather get comfortable with smooth, nice music that uses to follow the rules of intelligent structures rather than weird noises coming out from industrail machines or randomly tuned synthetisers (rather that things we are undergoing).

 At the other side, a too well educated listener might get bored when melodies always follow the same rules, like if we always take the same road, with same conditions, that's certainly why composers came to arrhythmia, dodecaphonism, serial and spectral music, for breaking the rules.

 But like in everything there is a need for an equilibrium. Breaking the rule for just breaking the rule have no interest if the rule have not been deployed along a musical piece, if the composer or the interpret don't navigate in and out of the rule, musicality can easyly loose it's interest to be listened. There is no interest to play out of tune if there is no tune at all.

 Also there is not idea *behind* music, music *is* the idea.

And anyway, anytime, music is the best.

----- "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com> a écrit :

> Reasonable Kate: Have you ever heard of the Chicken Dance?
> Questionable Chris: There is no such thing as the Chicken Dance. The
> Chicken Dance is not a thing at all but an activity, something that
> people
> do.
>
> Sad irony: Chris ends up _not_ dancing that night.
>
> -Jonathan
>
> --- On Wed, 2/2/11, J. Simon van der Walt <tedthetrumpet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > From: J. Simon van der Walt <tedthetrumpet at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [PD] Am I alone?
> > To: pd-list at iem.at
> > Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 6:46 AM
> > On 2 February 2011 03:13, Jonathan
> > Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > But we're not talking about the man, we're talking
> > about the music.
> >
> > ‘There is no such thing as music. Music is not a thing at
> > all but an
> > activity, something that people do.’
> >
> > Christopher Small (1998) ‘Musicking: The Meanings of
> > Performing and Listening’
> >
> > --
> > J. Simon van der Walt - Composer
> > www.jsimonvanderwalt.com