[PD] Are there alternative means of creating patches besides the graphical editor?

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Feb 3 09:04:18 CET 2011

HI,

Morgan Packard wrote:
> Hello there.
> I'm interested in using PD. However, as someone who spends a lot of
> time with code, I'm actually a little afraid of the learning curve
> involved with the graphical programming language! I'd be much more
> comfortable creating my patches using, for example, a Python tool.
> Does such a programmatic PD patch generation tool exist? I can't
> imagine I'm the first person who's wanted such a thing.
People will probably point you to csound or supercollider for your first
statement... Anyway the curve is not really so steep, dataflow is of
course a slightly different mindset, although if you are skilled at
coding that will nevertheless prove benefical.

Regarding python, you might have a look at py/pyext [1]. I couldn't
successfully have it setup in Ubuntu, because it is strongly tied to a
particular python version. Something more 'flexible' IMHO would be nice,
ideally running directly within pd would be really nice, even at the
level of non-dsp abstractions to begin with (similarly to javscript in
MAX)... But this doesn't seem to be of much interest currently.

Lorenzo

[1] http://puredata.info/Members/thomas/py/