[PD] PD or MAX/MSP --> Arguments fpr PD needet!!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Feb 8 17:50:10 CET 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 11:08 AM, <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> <martin.peach at sympatico.ca
 > wrote:

>> So we´ve to compare PD with Max and then will decide for the better
>> one...
>>
>> I prefer PD, so i need some Arguments for PD... Why PD and non Max?
>>
>> My Arguments are:
>>

>> * In PD you can easily write own Objects in PD (With C/C++ --> Is
>> that in Max as possible like in PD ???
>
> Yes, see:
> http://cycling74.com/products/sdk/
>
> Apart from that, Pd is free and also runs on linux.

It turns out that the Max/MSP and PD APIs are very close, so you can
write/port externals for both without too much effort.

- Pd is very portable and flexible and you can run it on many platforms:
GNU/Linux
Mac OS X
Windows
iPhoneOS
Android
Maemo
on any embedded Linux-based system
on hardware DSP chips
integer-only mobile CPUs (PDa)

- The MSP part of Max/MSP is built using the sources from Pd (see the
startup screen on Max/MSP).

- you can make highly-optimized builds for your own CPU.

- its embeddable into other programming languages (libpd):
C/C++
OpenFrameworks
Java

Any many more, depends really on what you want to do.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams