[PD] Sigmund~ and tracks.

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:06:31 CET 2011

Could you make a simple example patch that demonstrates the
rhythmicized/pulsed result that you don't like?  Without knowing
exactly what's going on in your patch, my first question would be
whether or not you're smoothing the frequencies and amplitudes with a
[line~] or something else.  Maybe sudden changes due to fleeting
tracking errors cause glitches that pulse in sync with the analysis
period?

With a violin as input you should get a reasonable enough spectrum to
get stable harmonic tracking with a window much smaller than 65536.
The low G on a violin is 196Hz, so the bin spacing you'd get with
-npts 4096 would give plenty of resolution for catching multiples of
that fundamental and higher ones, and only 92ms of extra delay. The
hop setting you choose will just affect how often the information is
updated (and CPU usage too).  You should expect to deal with some
temporary tracking errors during moments like attacks, where
components of the spectrum won't be in a perfectly harmonic
relationship.

Going beyond 131072 points using Pd's built-in mayer_fft() has given
me garbage as output in the past.  Maybe someone else knows something
about this limitation?