[PD] pix_frei0r? Possible?

Pagano, Patrick pat at digitalworlds.ufl.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:22:33 CET 2011

Hello

I would like to ask about the possibility of creating something like pix_frei0r on snow leopard, OSX.
I have pix_freeframe working and perhaps i should ask about the possibility of getting pix_frei0r working?

What would it entail to get pix_frei0r working inside GEM?
http://www.piksel.org/frei0r
Frei0r is a minimalistic plugin API for video sources and filters. The behaviour of the effects can be controlled from the host by simple parameters. The intent is to solve the recurring reimplementation or adaptation issue of standard effects.
Frei0r is not meant as a generic API for all kinds of video applications.
There is no support for the requirements of special application areas like non linear editors, hardware accelerated shader effects, and high precision video processing. These advanced issues are not even solved satisfactory for non cross application plugin apis and are still an evolving field.
The frei0r API is not meant to be a competing standard to more ambitious efforts.

I have used the frei0r plugins with pdp_frei0r on Ubuntu and in Veejay1.5.8 and they are very useful to say the least for video synthesis

who would be the best person to ask/request this? I think i could help with testing and put a grad student on a portion of this if it actually can happen in the next few months
I tried installing frei0r-1 plugins through macports and the created .so files are unusable with pd-extended for OSX and i would prefer that they be included in a true OSX version

Pat Pagano