[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 13 17:46:13 CET 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> A false dichotomy is made between abstractions and externals.

Such a false dichotomy is also used on the front page of
http://puredata.info/ :

   « It is easy to extend Pd by writing object classes ("externals") or
     patches ("abstractions"). »

I say that even though at the implementation level, abstractions aren't
classes, for the user, it works like a class.

> Also there are many externals that don't include abstractions but are
> nonetheless compatible with Pd vanilla.

What part of the text are you referring to, in particular ?

BTW, http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/Abstractions talks about
"external patches", but given how "external" is being overwhelmingly used
with a totally different meaning in Pd. (are newbies supposed to have to
guess ?)

> "word or symbol" creates a false dichotomy.

what about the occurrence of "selector-word" in the Messages page ?

> Also: it isn't made clear what is special about list messages as opposed
> to, say, blueberry messages, which I define as starting with the word
> blueberry followed by zero or more atoms*.

mmm, blueberries. :)