[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 21:14:53 CET 2011

--- On Sun, 2/13/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at eds.org>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 5:46 PM
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > A false dichotomy is made between abstractions and
> externals.
>
> Such a false dichotomy is also used on the front page of http://puredata.info/ :
>
>   « It is easy to extend Pd by writing object
> classes ("externals") or
>     patches ("abstractions"). »

As well as in svn, where, for example, list-abs is in the abstractions
folder, but there are plenty of libraries in "externals" that are made
up only of abstractions.

> I say that even though at the implementation level,
> abstractions aren't classes, for the user, it works like a
> class.
>
> > Also there are many externals that don't include
> abstractions but are nonetheless compatible with Pd
> vanilla.
>
> What part of the text are you referring to, in
> particular ?

The last sentence states that list-abs "doesn't require any externals so
that it is compatible with vanilla Pd as well".

> BTW, http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/Abstractions talks
> about "external patches", but given how "external" is being
> overwhelmingly used with a totally different meaning in Pd.
> (are newbies supposed to have to guess ?)
>
> > "word or symbol" creates a false dichotomy.
>
> what about the occurrence of "selector-word" in the
> Messages page ?

Yep, that, too.