[PD] noob question: trying to repurpose the G08.reverb.pd example

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Feb 15 21:15:07 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> It's still a common vocabulary. You're not rewriting the abstractions
> (or renaming them) every time.

How do the users know (and ensure) that they're really the same ?

Making copies like that, encourage per-project customisation of same-named
things, doesn't it ?

> And in your case why not just have the several different patches all be
> in the same folder with the abstractions?

In some sense, the examples/ folder of GridFlow can be thought as a big
directory of projects sharing common abstractions and externals. So, in a
sense, I'm doing that already.

To me, it's a form of packaging based on shared dependencies : things get
distributed as a single package because they have a lot of dependencies
with each other and/or in common (and there's not enough of a rationale to
split the package). In GridFlow's case, it's also a form of packaging
based on authorship : lots of things get put together because they share
the same author (or by members of a same team, official or not).