[PD] Abstractions x Externals

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 16 05:17:27 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Alexandre Porres wrote:

> > Btw-- the manual makes a distinction between> "abstractions" and "externs".
>
> But it shouldn't, right? I mean, it's not real in practice, for abstractions can be externals...

Which definitions are you using ?

I've never seen « abstractions are externals » nor anything that would
imply it.

I tried introducing the word « class » in users' vocabulary, to include
both abstraction definitions and external definitions under a same word,
and using the word « object » to mean instances of either, but there is
still some resistance to using industry-standard vocabulary instead of
whatever the MAX manuals coughed up, for example.

It would be good if you stated the definitions you use. It'd help me
understand how « abstractions are externals » can be a true statement.