[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 16 05:28:36 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> --- On Tue, 2/15/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> Yeah, that's nonsense. Pd-vanilla is the origin of the
>> <m_pd.h> interface for making externals.
> Btw-- the manual makes a distinction between "abstractions" and
> "externs".

It needs to, at least a bit, because they have a different loading
priority : *.pd is not sought for at the same time as *.pd_linux, for
example.

> I think it's useful to people doing stuff with audio who want to learn
> Pd without being surrounded by a haze of thousands of possibly useful,
> possibly buggy, poorly documented object classes that may or may not be
> usable for someone on a different machine.

If you thought Pd-Vanilla was that well documented to start with, you
wouldn't be maintaining a separate set of help files.

How can those classes affect those users ? I mean, how can the collection
of pd-extended classes act like a haze, when the users don't look at a
list of 2000 classes ?

> * "Puritan Data"?

I could be joking but I don't feel like it.