[PD] noob question: trying to repurpose the G08.reverb.pd example

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 16 05:43:54 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> --- On Tue, 2/15/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> > It's still a common vocabulary. You're not rewriting
>> the abstractions (or renaming them) every time.
>> How do the users know (and ensure) that they're really the
>> same ?
> Well if the user is the person I send it to, the question makes no
> sense.  They just run the patch and it works.

I mean the direct users of the abstractions. (call them developers if you
like)

> But GridFlow contains a lot more than abstractions.  If it only
> contained abstractions, I'd just throw it in the patch's directory.
> It's the difference between someone using my patch with a few clicks,
> and emailing me back about why [blah] isn't creating, or why Pd says it
> can't connect to a nonexistent right inlet of [bloo]...

You can have all those problems with abstractions. This is because of two
things : Pd looks for externals before it looks for abstractions ; and Pd
doesn't look for an abstraction once a same-named external is loaded. Any
name clash is possible (à priori).

So, if you have an abstraction called [oneshot], it will get overridden by
any other [oneshot] that decides to register the name that is just
"oneshot".

If you have a [pow~] abstraction, it could get overridden by another
same-named class by just upgrading from one version of vanilla to another
version of vanilla.

In both cases, this could mean attempt to connect to a nonexistent right
inlet if you're lucky, otherwise, silently wrong behaviour that takes a
long time to debug.