[PD] Scheduling events, libpd, and sequencing

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 11:23:46 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

On 15 Feb 2011, at 22:56, Peter Kirn wrote:

> The notion is that the language side of things - Java, C++,
> Objective-C, Python, whatever -- will have the logic that determines
> how events are scheduled, and would handle user input that might alter
> the sequence of those events. The question is how best to have the
> *language* communicate with Pd.
>
> So, the structure would be:
> external logic > message to Pd >  qlist/textfile scheduling inside Pd
>> sound source in Pd > audio callback in the embedded instance

Can't the caller just communicate with Pd by passing messages through the libPd API? I thought the whole point of libPd was that you have your code and Pd's code running in the same process, with a lightweight wrapper in between, so there should be virtually zero latency in passing messages from your code to a running Pd. Certainly it shouldn't require timestamping to de-jitter. Or maybe I'm missing the point of your question...

Jamie