[PD] Abstractions x Externals

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Wed Feb 16 11:30:22 CET 2011

Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think the term 'external' was coined by David Zicarelli (in the context
> of the M program, before Max) to mean an external code segment.  I've always
> used it to mean a calss defined in a dynamically linked object module
> (presumably written in C).
>
> I use the word 'abstractions' to refer to patches invoked by name in
> object boxes.  So for me at least, the two are different animals.

That has always been my understanding too (didn't know of the historical
background of course :) ... I have always though that:

externals = the ones made in C
abstractions = the ones in Pd
objects = the 'boxes' (as in Put->object vs message, numberbox etc.)
especially the vanilla ones (is [osc~] and object or an external?) ...
but also an umbrealla term for abstractions, externals,...
(Pd) application = a set of multiple abstractions  and/or externals
which run in Pd and constitute a somewhat 'self-contained' applicetion
(like a sequencer, sampler etc.) often simply denoted by a cool/funky
name like "Super-duper-hyper-mega-wave-a-tronic sampler" etc.

Lorenzo