[PD] Pd-extended 0.42.5 Lucid - Audio Settings / Delay - not working!

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 18 17:53:40 CET 2011

On 02/18/2011 05:13 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> Ingo, I think OSS can offer you just very high latency. You can't get
> realtime with it.

where did you get that piece of information?

the lowest latency i was ever able to get with Pd at 44.1kHz was with
RME Hammerfall and OSS(!) drivers: 4.8ms measured(!) between soundcard
input and soundcard output, and that at a load of 80% or so.

(i don't fully trust in the numbers that you can fill into the various
forms, regardless of Pd, jack, or whatever; the only way to get yuor
latency is to measure it).

the main problem with OSS is, that it is simply not available anymore on
recent debian/ubuntu/... distros.

> Besides, if you configure your system right with ALSA and JACK, you
> don't need to run PD as root. Don't run programs as root, this is not
> safe.

i couldn't have said that better.

gamdsr
IOhannes