[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 17:51:51 CET 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:48:21 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I guess I'm limiting it to unwanted ambiguities that
> _cannot_ be resolved by looking at the patch.

Maybe we could look at it in another way, and ask what information
is hidden in a patch? Most we have mentioned so far:

 1) Values of IEM GUIs
 2) Creation order of cables
 3) Differing implementations of objects
 4) Creation order of objects

In that scheme, obscured things like inlets behind
wires would count. Using real fancy graphics in a modern
interface maybe some use of transparency can be made.
I always liked the VST hosts where you could "shake"
cables.

This made me think of a help to revealing (2). If an interface
were to have hover-over tooltips, as has been discussed at times
for outlets/inlets, then a cable could reveal its creation
order on hover.

It wouldn't obviate triggers, but would make a nice debugging
feature.

a.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>