[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 03:50:44 CET 2011

--- On Sun, 2/20/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 1:40 AM
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > I'll continue to argue if hc gives me some Pd examples
> that back up his "95% bad" claim. But unless I'm missing a
> "turn on segmented patch cords" checkbutton buried in a menu
> somewhere, I believe this is the end of the argument.
>
> The claim has been used for a long time, to justify why pd
> doesn't have this feature. Even though Pd doesn't have it,
> MAX has it, and this is what people here refer to when they
> talk about segmented patch cords (most of the time).

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/max_alphabetical.html

I started at the top, checked the help for all the objects under "symbols"
and "A".  Thirty-five help docs with 27 segmented patch cords, and
_none_ of them are ambiguous.

So what exactly are people referring to, other than some anecdotal
evidence about some students somewhere who made some patches with some
segmented patch cords that they thought looked bad?

-Jonathan