[PD] [Pdmtl] [PD-announce] four more fractal videos, and reposting the two previous ones

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 20 16:21:51 CET 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Jack wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 février 2011 à 21:02 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
>> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, jack at rybn.org wrote:
>>> With [GEMglVertex3f] you can draw the polygon with dynamic patching.
>> You don't need dynamic patching for that. It's easier to use [repeat].
> Yep, it is also possible and certainly better (i prefer to use [gemlist]
> than [repeat] but this is my choice).

[gemlist] is not a replacement for [repeat] nor vice-versa.

It's just in certain contexts, that you can use one instead of the other.
For example, for your fractal creation using [gemlist], you do it
depth-first with small polygons, whereas the way I constructed my polygon
was breadth-first as one big polygon using something like [repeat]. (There
are also depth-first ways of constructing one large polygon, and
breadth-first ways of constructing small polygons).

Overall, [gemlist] is only for making exact copies of something ("exact"
as in they only differ by a change of coords: translate, rotate, ...),
whereas [repeat] can be used to produce any sequences of vertices using
counters, [expr] or whatever else. My use of [gf/gl] is a direct
equivalent of using [repeat] with a counter to iterate through a table
using [tabread].