[PD] DIY Biosensing wearable device and PureData

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Mon Feb 21 19:56:51 CET 2011

Thanks everybody for the feedbacks, hopefully soon I'll be posting another
piece using two arms and no stand.

@Max: Sure, so...

I actually don't trigger any sound nor pre-recorded sound. All the sonic
material you hear is the only muscle sound processed in real time.
By "muscle sounds" I mean the voluntary contractions of arm muscles.
It's a phenomenon known as MMG mechanical myography, namely the vibration of
muscle fibres, which is being currently explored in biomedical computing.

I use the MMG signal both as a sonic source and parameter controls.
So far I could extract 6 independent binary triggers (fingers) and 2 moving
events (overall continuous average and max value).

There's still a lot of work to do (I'm looking into neural networks to
improve the feature extraction), but it's real fun and intuitive to play
with it.
I've got a paper in the pipeline which will describe the development.

Best,

--
Marco Donnarumma
Independent New Media and Sonic Arts Professional, Performer, Instructor