[PD] Reading and writing binary files

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 28 06:36:47 CET 2011

On 2011-02-27 20:51, David wrote:
> Thanks for your help. It took me a while to figure out how 'list
> append' works, but I finally managed to get it working. I've attached
> the patch (intended to be used as an abstraction, invoked from another
> patch, which returns the data read from the file in a list).
>
> I have another question, though. How do the files get closed? When you
> exit PureData? Does that mean that every time you open a file, another
> system file handle is used and not released until you exit PureData?
> Or is there some way to explicitly close the file and release the file
> handle, buffers, etc.?

Actually read or write messages close the file right away, the buffer
remains at least big enough to fit the largest file read or constructed
in the buffer. If you want to clear the space you could read a
zero-length file into the buffer, or delete the [binfile], or close the
patch, or exit Pd, or switch off the machine...

Martin