[PD] To divide a number in random parts

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 3 03:05:34 CET 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Caio Barros wrote:

> I'm writing a piece where I want 10 chords played during 48 seconds but
> the duration of each chord should be different. So I'm trying to figure
> out a way to divide 48 into 10 unequal parts, I think using random
> numbers should be the best way but the difficulty is to get 10 random
> numbers wich summed give 48. Since I'm not expert at math maybe someone
> can help me. I want to do this operation with other numbers, therefore a
> pd patch would be great.

Should those numbers be _all_ different ?

Note that if you sum 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10, that's already 55. How many
time units do you have per 48 seconds ? (do you have a base tempo at
all ?)

And then what do you want the distribution to be like ? Is there any
maximum duration of a chord, minimum duration of a chord, etc ?