[PD] How to capture sound & video from Pd/Gem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 4 02:53:53 CET 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, ALAN BROOKER wrote:

> if you don't get anywhere with [pdp_rec~] another alternative could be
> to try the gridflow objects [#to_pix] to connect a Gem scene to gridflow
> -- then connect to [#record] to record the scene. However I don't think
> it records sound- check out the Gridflow help index and files.

In GridFlow, [#io.quicktimehw] (libquicktime) is the only module that can
record video. You have to use it through the [#out] interface. It's
available in all the Ubuntu packages, and in the latest OSX package
(9.13).

There's nothing for writing sound in GridFlow. However, there's a fairly
new feature of [#io.quicktimehw] for reading sound from a quicktime, which
is available through [#in~] as signals or through [#in] as grids. It's
still a bit experimental though.

([#in~] is just a simple combination of [#in] with [#to~])

It's very possible that I replace libquicktime with something else (but
patches would stay compatible, apart from use of the name "quicktimehw")