[PD] To divide a number in random parts

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 4 02:58:31 CET 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Markus Demmel wrote:

> You could try this approach(I also attached a patch with it):
> 48 = 4 * 10 + 1 * 8
> so you use
> n1=random(10)
> n2 = 10 - n1
> n3 = random(10)
> n4 = 10-n3
> .
> .
> n9 = random(8)
> n10 = 8 - n9

But this makes the odd-ordered chords to start at every 10 seconds. I
believe that Caio wants something more random than that.

BTW I have another idea :

initialise all of them to equal or almost equal amounts, then modify the
delays gradully : pick a donor randomly among delays that aren't already
minimum ; pick a acceptor randomly among delays that aren't already
maximum ; give one unit of delay from the donor to the acceptor.