[PD] To divide a number in random parts

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 00:31:23 CET 2011

I attached an example that will do something like what you want, using list abs.

Without much trouble you could make this into an abstraction.

It follows the first solution someone posted -- pick a bunch of random
numbers and then scale them so the total equals the target. I added a
few things, though -- it also rounds the numbers to the nearest
subdivision that you specify, and it goes through the list and moves
anything lower than the min or higher than the max duration to the min
or max, compensating elsewhere, until all the durations are in range.
I capped the number of searches for outliers to 1000, but you could
change that or get rid of it as need be.

I haven't tested this thoroughly, so let me know.

MB