[PD] To divide a number in random parts

Caio Barros caio.barros at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:49:08 CET 2011

2011/3/4 Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com>

> > I'm not shure if I understood that. You mean that if I set the "nuber of
> > subdivisions per beat" as 10 I can't set the number of beats to, say
> 8,255?
> > As far as user's responsibility goes, it doesn't make sense to input
> > negative numbers, yet it is possible.
>

> I think we're saying the same thing, if you're using the comma the way
> americans use the dot for indicating decimal; did 8,255 mean "8 +
> 255/1000"?
>
> Briefly -- it means that if I set the "subdivisions" to 4 (i.e. the
> "rhythms" will be quantized to "sixteenth notes"), I will not be able
> to generate something that lasts a total of 25.2 beats, since 25.2 is
> quantized to 5 subdivisions per beat ("sixteenth-note quintuplets).

Oh yes, we are saying the same thing. Sorry for the comma, I always forget
that. Even in pd sometimes I keep trying to write 0,25 in a number box and
get angry because it doesn't work.
One more thing. How hard it is to make possible for the user to choose
between the random output that you already made and to sort that output from
the smallest to longest duration and vice-versa?