[PD] Get list of a the arguments of a patch without using any external?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 22:58:50 CET 2011

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Get list of a the arguments of a patch without using any external?
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Miller Puckette" <msp at ucsd.edu>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > matju,
> >     How long would it take you to
> implement the "$@" thingy that you commented on in the patch
> tracker?  That would be a big step forward and would
> surely get included in pd-ext and pd-l2ork.
> > (I would try my hand at it, but I move at turtle speed
> in c.)
>
> Jonathan,
>
> When in jan 2007, I talked about "$@" in the patch tracker,
> it had already been implemented by Iohannes and submitted in
> aug 2006. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1543850&group_id=55736&atid=478072

I know, but I think your suggestion is cleaner-- you can get
then number of args by [$@(--[list length] so $# isn't needed, and
as you point out, having a way of saying "put args from $n and up in
this object box" is very useful.  (Without that, one either has to make
the number of args static, or use dynamic patching-- i.e., either be
less flexible or complicated.)

> PS: the [delwrite~] clear method http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3170987&group_id=55736&atid=478072
> is still assigned to "nobody", because it's waiting for any
> of the five project admins to click on a button... It also
> didn't appear on pd-dev at iem.at
> either : http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2011-02/thread.html

If one of the admins (finally) takes care of that, would you consider
submitting a patch for $@ with the functionality you wrote in the
comment?

-Jonathan