[PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability on macintels on analogindustries.com

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 00:06:17 CET 2011

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability on macintels on analogindustries.com
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "chris clepper" <cgclepper at gmail.com>, "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
>
> On Mar 7, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>

> > --- On Mon, 3/7/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> >> Subject: Re: [PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability
> on macintels on analogindustries.com
> >> To: "chris clepper" <cgclepper at gmail.com>
> >> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> >> Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 10:45 PM

> of
> >> beta.
> >>
> >> Is that because of the version numbers ? They
> always begin
> >> with a zero.
> >
> > But Gridflow goes up to 9.  So just make sure to
> install Gridflow with
> > Pd, and you should then be able to instantiate up to
> nine "simple" objects
> > without Pd randomly crashing on you:
> >
> > [import gridflow]
> >
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro]
> > |
> > [metro] <-- Warning: 10th metro object may crash
> Pd
>

> Wait, are you telling me that Pd doesn't got to 11?!?
> That must be fixed!  But just created 10 linked metros
> and got no crash on Pd-extended 0.42.5 on Mac OSX 10.5.8.

Sorry, I should have put a disclaimer: complete hogwash!

I was just referring to the blog that started this thread, where the
complaint was that instantiating a simple [metro] object can crash Pd.
I don't think it is true, nor do I think that there's a
get-out-of-crash-free card for each integer above 0 in the GF numbering
system.

I made a patch once with a slider with range 0-11, but it only let you
slide it up to 10, unless you click a [tgl] associated with it, to get
one more.  No matter what it's controlling, it's a lot of fun.

-Jonathan