[PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability on macintels on, analogindustries.com

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 03:04:51 CET 2011

--- On Tue, 3/8/11, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Toughts on PD vs. Max stability on macintels on, analogindustries.com
> To: "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca>
> Cc: "Peter Kirn" <peter at createdigitalmedia.net>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 12:43 AM
>
> On Mar 7, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> You can definite make persistent audio interface
> settings.  The preferred way is to set them in your
> patch.
> >
> > Preferred by whom ?
> >
> > I can't picture anyone wanting to set anyone else's
> audio settings when they send someone else a patch.
>
> I guess you don't work in anything but 44100 sampling
> rates.  I have done projects that use 22050 and 48k,
> and both won't work right unless the sampling rate is set
> correctly.  Therefore its an essential property of the
> patch.

I think you two are talking at cross-purposes.

For Audio API (OSS, ALSA, etc.):

You can choose the respective menu item, then set it up in the
dialog window that pops up.  Click "Save all settings" to... save
all settings.  Isn't that persistent audio interface settings?

Things I would normally set using the Media Menu:
input devices, # of channels, whether or not to use multiple devices,
delay.

Things I would set using the Media Menu OR some kind of in-patch
mechanism:
sample rate

But how would you set audio API, # of channels, etc. in-patch when it
depends on the hardware/software setup specific to that machine?
(Though I guess it could be useful for setting up a lab of 20 of the
same exact computers running identical OSes.)

-Jonathan