[PD] Get list of a the arguments of a patch without using any external?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Mar 8 15:17:13 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:34:52PM -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/8/11, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
> > Do you think that what you have written above is likely to
> > increase or decrease
> > your chances of getting those patches accepted more
> > quickly? I ask this
> > question sincerely.
>
> I think a better question would be put to Miller or Hans, or the other
> admins-- can someone please explain how the patch review process works?

Good question. I was happy to read IOhanne's reply.

> Not only is the patch in question is now over a month old with no signs
> of the review having begun, but it was submitted to the tracker in direct
> response to a user's request for the feature.  If there's a problem
> with it there should at least be a relevant comment by this point.

This is not realistic. If you look at any large FLOSS project, patches lie
dormant, are ignored, are rejected for the wrong reasons all of the time.
Submit a patch to the Linux kernel and see what happens. Most likely it will be
silently dropped.

In my experience, the best way to get a patch accepted in most projects is to
invest time in engaging socially. The reality is that often the onus is on the
submitter to advocate for their patch. In this case a sensible place to do that
would be pd-dev list. Demanding that your patch is more important than the
other things a volunteer-maintainer might need to do with their time (like real
life engagements), and is more important than other patches in the queue seems
like an unlikely way to get patches accepted.

Likewise if you somehow imply that the maintainer owes you something and that
they are not doing some kind of job properly. The people on the other end have
given up thousands of hours of their time as volunteers and released all of
that work for free, and they are often busy with other things in their lives.
Is it really so much to ask of eachother a little patience and respect?

Seriously, I find it weird that I even have to write this.

I speak only for myself and my own observations. I have no idea what any of the
other people involved think about this (except IOhannes who replied more
succinctly than me, and with whom I agree).

Cheers,

Chris.