[PD] Get list of a the arguments of a patch without using any external?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 8 18:31:43 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Chris McCormick wrote:

> This is not realistic. If you look at any large FLOSS project, patches
> lie dormant, are ignored, are rejected for the wrong reasons all of the
> time. Submit a patch to the Linux kernel and see what happens. Most
> likely it will be silently dropped.

Do you mean we have to adopt and accept the same problems that are sure
signs of a project's overwhelming success ? Would that bring us
overwhelming success too ?

> In my experience, the best way to get a patch accepted in most projects
> is to invest time in engaging socially. The reality is that often the
> onus is on the submitter to advocate for their patch.

Don't you think a lot more patches would go through if the users
wanting the features weren't sitting around saying things like "the onus
is on the submitter" or just being quiet, and instead promoted the
patches ?

In a large project, people have the luxury to say things like "the onus
is on the submitter", because if that scares away 1000 developers, there's
another 1000 developers working on the project anyway.

> In this case a sensible place to do that would be pd-dev list.

I don't see the connection between babbling on pd-dev and getting a patch
approved by someone who rarely writes on pd-dev.

> Demanding that your patch is more important than the other things a
> volunteer-maintainer might need to do with their time

I thought you were trying to be realistic about the situation. We need not
invent additional problems.

> Likewise if you somehow imply that the maintainer owes you something

Likewise if you somehow imply that a patch-submitter is bound by some kind
of onus, so that he does your promotion job for you, for inclusion in a
branch he doesn't need, for a patch he doesn't need either...

> Seriously, I find it weird that I even have to write this.

You don't "have" to.