[PD] TouchOSC and Pure Data on OS X

Richie Cyngler glitchpop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:31:15 CET 2011

My problem with TouchOSC was getting it to see my laptop. I haven't been
able to set up a network with just the laptop and TouchOSC (though I haven't
tried for a while) this is supposed to work though.

As far as using OSC in Pd check out the mrpeach library. It is awesome.

I'm sure it's possible to get the OSC data to come straight into Pd but in
regards to getting those messages all nice and neat and easy I recommend
OSCulator (I have no connection to guy making it, I just like it). It's
third party software. Very easy to use and works very well. It's OSX only.
I've used OSCulator for wiimotes and wacom tablets... I'm not really using
OSC at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to give TouchOSC a good going
over yet, but OSCulator does support TouchOSC.

Hope that helps.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Wilfred de Zoete
<puredata at klankontwerp.nl>wrote:

>  I have recently purchased TouchOSC on the iPhone and have succesfully
> controlled Ableton Live with LiveControl and iTunes and other programs with
> OSCulator (AppleScript).
>
> When I try the PD-examples from http://hexler.net/software/touchosc I have
> no succes. When I want to open the .pd file with the most recent version of
> PD extended (0.42.5) I get the old watch and nothing happpens. This is also
> the case with older PD's I use.
>
> I got the 'basic.pd' up and running before I installed one of the other
> programs (LiveControl or OSCulator or TouchOSC Editor) but cannot remember
> which one.
>
> I know that the .pd files have a prefilled [OSCreceive] (don't remember the
> correct syntax) with port 8000. OSCulator has a default port of 8000 as
> well. So I tried a cold boot and did not start up any other program than PD.
> Even this did not help.
>
> Could this be the problem?
>
> Are there more people working with TouchOSC and PD? Can someone help me
> trying to make a new OSCreceive from scratch with the correct syntax?
>
> System specs: iOS4.2.1 on iPhone 3G - OS X 10.6.6 on late 2008 15" MBP. All
> software is up to date.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Greets,
>
> Wilfred